Saturday 19 December 2015

(6.1.2) Use of 'Make' as a causative verb

Use of 'Make' as a causative verb

As a causative verb 'Make' indicates the use of force or pressure.
In other words 'Make' is used when we force someone to do something.
The construction is (structure) -
Subject + Causative Verb (Make) + doer + verb in first verb + object.
1. The captain asked the soldiers to fall in the line. (without causative verb)
= The captain made the soldiers fall in line. (with causative verb)
2. My father asks me to go to school in time.
= My father makes me go to school in time.
3. He will force her to tell a story.
=He will make her tell a story.
4. They have forced me to sign an agreement.
=They have made me sign an agreement.
5. No one can compel me to change my mind.
=No one can make me change my mind.
6. Who will force her to clean the room?
=Who will make her clean the room?
Some More Examples
1. He made me laugh in the class.
2. The teacher makes the bad students stand on the bench.
3. Don't make the driver drive fast.
4. The bad weather will make us cancel our plan to go for a picnic.
6. He is making her finish the work.

Search This Blog