Saturday 19 December 2015

(6.1.4) Use of 'Get' as a causative verb.

Use of 'Get' as a  causative verb.

As a causative verb 'Get' indicates  persuasion. In other words as a causative verb get is used to persuade someone to do some thing, as:
I got Ramesh to drive me to the railway station.
Structure -
Subject + get (causative verb) + doer + to + action Verb  in the first form  + object.
Examples.
1. I Shall persuade him to read the paragraph.
= I shall get mahesh to read the paragraph.
2.  He asked me to bring a pen for him.
= He got me to bring a pen (for him)
3. She will tell him to draw water.
= She will get him to draw water.
4. The old woman could not get anyone to lift the box.
= The old woman could not get anyone to lift the box.
5. We should persuade them to walk fast.
= We should get them to walk fast.
6.  Ask the people to get up early in the morning.
= Get the people to get up early in the morning.
Some More Examples.
1. I got some villagers to push ;my car.
2. The old woman is getting Hari to write a letter.
3. The fox got the crow to sing a song.
4. I can get him to post the letter.
Use of Causative causative verb 'Get' in Passive Form -
As a causative verb 'Get' can be used in passive form also :
I got my clothes washed by the washer-man.
Structure
Subject + get (causative verb) + object  + third form of the verb of action + by + doer.
Examples :
1. Hari asked the gardener to water the plants.
= Hari got the plants watered by the gardener.
2.  The boy will ask me to read the letter.
=  The boy will get the letter read by my.
3. He posted the letter for me.
=  I got the letter posted by him.

Search This Blog