Sunday 20 December 2015

(6.1.5) Use of 'Have' as a causative verb

Use of 'Have' as a causative verb

As a causative verb 'have' is used when we engage or employ someone to do the work for us.
'Have' can be used in active voice and passive voice.
A. Causative verb 'have' in Active Voice -
Structure -
Subject + have + doer + verb in the first form without to + object.
1. I engaged a man to clean the room.
=  I had a man clean the room
2. We shall engage a new cook to prepare delicious food.
=  We shall have a new cook prepare delicious food.
3. The gardener plants the plants for me.
=   I have the gardener plant the plants.
B. Causative verb 'have' in passive voice -
As a causative verb 'have' is used in passive voice also.
Structure 
Subject + Have + object + third form of the verb + by + doer.
Examples.
1. The Principal has asked the clerk to collect the fees from the students.
= The principal has the fees collected from the students by the clerk.
2. The manager will engage a new man to watch the factory.
=  The manager will have the factory watched by a new man.
3. She asked the goldsmith to repair her chair.
=  she had her chain repaired by a gold smith.
Some more examples
1. The teacher will have the black board cleaned by me.
2. My brother had his suit washed by the dry cleaner.
3. She has a glass of water brought by the servant.
4. I had my trousers stitched (by someone).
5. You have your watch repaired (by the watch maker).




Search This Blog